Wednesday

Technology and How it Improves Writing

As I was sitting here at my computer researching anything that has to do with technology and writing, I stumbled across an informative Web site focused on how writing is improved by technology. The Web site, linked below, comes straight from the Landmark College: Institute for Research and Training, a notable source due to their variety of studies. This Web site states that technology can help with writing in a variety of ways, including the brainstorming, organization, construction of the first draft, and the editing of the document. I agree with these claims fully. I believe that technology aids novice, as well as expert, writers by letting them get all of their thoughts written, organized, and edited. Unlike handwriting a first draft, a typed page does not have extensive erase marks, scratch-outs, or smudges upon printing. Also, word processing and predicting are very valuable tools today. As stated on the page, "By assisting spelling, word prediction enables students to focus more on content. At times, the spelling suggestions may even trigger the students' ideas, offering a direction for the next paragraph." I understand where the institute is coming from. Today, most writers don't stop and think how easy producing a document is compared to the past. Personally, I don't know what I would do without Microsoft Word and its features, including Spelling/Grammar Check (that feature's basically my best friend). Likewise, I don't know how I would be able to handle ripping off a page and starting over, as users of the typewriter had to do. I give kudos to Landmark College for producing this Web site. It helped me focus on how technology is beneficial to writing.


2 comments:

  1. Good research. I commend you on taking the project and putting your own twist on it as far as the topic goes. As you focused on writing and technology, you were able to add a little something different to your project as a whole. I agree with what you have stated and would go on to say that technology has led to an increase in convenience for writers in all aspects, allowing for ideas to flow and collaboration to be utilized more than ever.
    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I enjoy your input. I totally agree with what you have said!

    ReplyDelete